Your Medicare benefits aren’t changing. No matter how you get Medicare, whether through Original Medicare or a Medicare health plan, you’ll still have the same benefits and security you have now, and you won’t have to make any changes. Learn about the 5 ways the Affordable Care Act affects people with Medicare.
The Marketplace provides new health coverage options for many Americans. If you have family and friends who don’t have health coverage, tell them to visit HealthCare.gov to learn more about their options.
You don’t need to do anything with the Marketplace during Open Enrollment
Medicare’s Open Enrollment isn’t part of the Marketplace.
Medicare Open Enrollment (October 15-December 7) is the time when all people with Medicare are encouraged to review their current health and prescription drug coverage, including any changes in costs, coverage and benefits that will take effect next year. If you want to change your coverage for next year, this is the time to do it. If you’re satisfied that your current coverage will continue to meet your needs for next year, you don’t need to do anything.
The Health Insurance Marketplace Open Enrollment period (October 1, 2013-March 31, 2014) overlaps with the Medicare Open Enrollment period (October 15-December 7, 2013).
If you have Medicare, make sure that you’re reviewing Medicare plans and not Marketplace options. To review Medicare plans, use the Plan Finder.
What if someone tries to sell me a Marketplace plan?
It’s against the law for someone who knows that you have Medicare to sell you a Marketplace plan.
- Medicare Recipients Don’t Need to Apply for Obamacare(hispanicbusiness.com)
- Obamacare and Medicare Don’t Mix! (healthandmedicareinsurance.com)
- Navigating Medicare! (tellmewhatsgoingon.com)
- Beware this scam! (lebanoncountylink.org)
- Lookout for scams related to the Affordable Care Act(quinnscommentary.com)
- Avoiding Medicare “Marketplace Plans” Confusion (estateplanning123.com)
- FAQ: Seniors on Medicare don’t need to apply to the health law marketplaces (nbcnews.com)