Security Summit Reminder: Dangerous W-2 Phishing Scam Evolving: Targets Schools, Restaurants, Hospitals, Tribal Groups
Help spread the word to your clients: The Internal Revenue Service, state tax agencies and the tax industry recently issued an urgent alert to all employers that the Form W-2 email phishing scam has evolved beyond the corporate world and is spreading to other sectors, including school districts, tribal organizations and nonprofits. The Summit partners continue to receive reports of this scheme.
For information on how to guard against identity theft, visit Protect Your Clients, Protect Yourself.
- Fake CEO phishing tax scam is back (dontmesswithtaxes.com)
- 30,000 taxpayers affected by W-2 phishing scams, IRS warns (hotforsecurity.bitdefender.com)
- Phishing Season: TurboTax Tips to Help You Avoid Being Lured into Identity Theft (turbotax.intuit.com)
- TurboTax – Tax Tips If You Have Had Your Identity Stolen (turbotax.intuit.com)
- W-2 Phishing Scams: What You Need to Know to Stay Secure (business2community.com)
- Shopping for W2s, Tax Data on the Dark Web (krebsonsecurity.com)