By Dan Moren
As a happy Amazon Echo user for nearly two years now, you might think I wouldn’t be in the market for any other voice-controlled virtual assistant–and you’d be wrong. Dead wrong.
Upon returning home from my lengthy trip last month, one of the boxes awaiting me contained a Google Home that I’d ordered while abroad. Given how much I enjoy and appreciate the Echo, I’ve concluded that it’s incumbent upon me to at least try out the major competitors in the field, and right now that means Google’s lady-in-the-canister.
To date, I’ve only had a fairly limited opportunity to put the Home through its paces, and if the Echo is any indication, these devices are evolving quickly. With that in mind, here are some of my first impressions of Google’s foray into the smart speaker market.
- These popular devices keep a recording of everything you ask them – here’s how to find it and delete it (businessinsider.com)
- LG Reportedly Preparing Amazon Echo Competitor Hub Robot, 2 Other Robots Ahead Of CES 2017 (ibtimes.com)
- Mattel has their own Amazon Echo-esk device but for kids (technutty.co.uk)
- Murder suspect’s Amazon Echo device could help solve the case (telegraph.co.uk)
- Now you can ask Alexa if what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas (mashable.com)
- Amazon Echo Saves all your Voice Data for Police (amtvmedia.com)