Where there is internet there is porn. It’s a fact, an undeniable fact, one that LinkNYC should have kept in mind when it started setting up public Wi-Fi kiosks in one of the biggest cities on the planet. When they were launched in February this year, New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said that these 7,500 kiosks would “bridge the digital divide,” but operator LinkNYC finds that the kiosks are being used for other things. It’s now shutting off web browsing in the kiosks because people just won’t stop watching porn.
- NYC disables internet kiosks because people can’t stop looking at porn (dailydot.com)
- After Porn & Masturbation Incidents, LinkNYC Removes Web Browsing From WiFi Kiosks (gothamist.com)
- Internet Browsers to Be Disabled on New York’s Free Wi-Fi Kiosks (nytimes.com)
- City to pull plug on sidewalk internet after porn complaints (crainsnewyork.com)
- Web Browsing Removed From LinkNYC Kiosks Amid Concerns (newyork.cbslocal.com)
- New York cuts off web browsing at public Wi-Fi kiosks amid porn concern – CNET (cnet.com)