Justice Jaffe denied habeas corpus relief to Hercules and Leo only because, as she wrote, “for now” she is bound by the intermediate appellate court decision in Tommy’s case, which is before the Court of Appeals seeking further review.
- Judge declines to give legal personhood to Stony Brook University research chimpanzees (newsday.com)
- Harlow’s infamously cruel experiments are the reason chimps should be recognized as legal persons (theplaidzebra.com)
- New York Court: Chimps Are Still Property, Not People (npr.org)
- New York Court: Chimps Are Still Property, Not People (wnyc.org)
- Court dismisses lawsuit seeking personhood for 2 New York chimps (cbc.ca)
- N.Y. judge says chimps may get legal rights, but not for now (dailymail.co.uk)
- Tags: Habeas corpus