Early drafts of the book, the fifth edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, or DSM-5, have divided medical opinion so firmly that authors of previous editions are among the most prominent critics.
Known informally as the psychiatrists’ bible, the $199 tome from theAmerican Psychiatric Association is the guidebook that US doctors will use to diagnose mental disorders. The latest edition is the first major update in 20 years.
- New US manual for diagnosing mental disorders published (guardian.co.uk)
- Surface Appearances – DSM-V: Small Changes, Unintended Consequences?(silentoceans.wordpress.com)
- From anxiety to Asperger’s, how the DSM is redefining disorders(crikey.com.au)
- DSM-5 Released: The Big Changes (psychcentral.com)
- Controversial update to psychiatry manual, DSM-5, arrives (cbsnews.com)
- Mental health ‘bible’ update due (bbc.co.uk)
- DSM – DSM5 the latest news and happenings…collected (beyondmeds.com)
- Chorus of critics greets new psychiatric manual release(vitals.nbcnews.com)
- Is Mental Illness Over-diagnosed? Backlash Over The New DSM-V(medicaldaily.com)