This is something that’s been a long time coming, and it’s finally here. GIMPis an excellent Photoshop-esque open source photo editor. While it’s been available on Mac for a long time, it has required the X11 Window environment, which itself needs a separate (and somewhat messy) installation. For a long time, the programmers working on GIMP have been promising to eventually take it native, but it hasn’t happened until just recently. As of version 2.8.2, you can now simply go grab the GIMP .dmg file from the main website, and then install and run on your Mac as needed.
- GIMP now (finally) available as a native Mac app (tuaw.com)
- GIMP Is Now Available as a Native App for Mac OS X [GIMP] (lifehacker.com)
- GIMP is Now a Self-Contained Native App for Mac OS X (petapixel.com)
- GIMP 2.8.2 fixes bugs in preparation for official Mac app (h-online.com)
- ‘GIMP Magazine’ Launches Sept 5th (omgubuntu.co.uk)
- Install Gimp 2.8 in Ubuntu (sqlandplsql.com)