If you have any decently modern Android phone, everything you do is being recorded by hidden software lurking inside. It even circumvents web encryption and grabs everything–including your passwords andGoogle queries.
Worse: it’s the handset manufacturers and the carriers who–in the name of “making your user experience better”–install this software without any way for you to opt-out. This video, recorded by 25-year-old Android developer Trevor Eckhart, shows how it works. This is bad. Really bad.
Update 1: Nokia claims they don’t use Carrier IQ’s spyware.
Update 2: Hackers have found Carrier IQ in Apple iPhone, but only works in diagnostic mode–which is off by default–and only logs technical data.
- Your Android Phone May Be Secretly Recording Everything You Do(gizmodo.com.au)
- Your Android Phone Is Probably Tracking Everything You Do(slog.thestranger.com)
- Big privacy scandal for Android phones (amanwithaphd.wordpress.com)
- Carrier IQ: How the Widespread Rootkit Can Track Everything on Your Phone, and How to Remove It [Video] (lifehacker.com)
- How to Make Sure Your Android Phone Isn’t Spying On You(lockergnome.com)
- Key Logger Found On Android Smart Phones(newsworldwide.wordpress.com)
- Steve Jobs Was Right, Android Logs Everything [Video] (cultofmac.com)
- People Are Freaking Out About Carrier IQ, The Hidden Smartphone Program That Tracks Everything You Do (businessinsider.com)
- Video claims Carrier IQ software spies on Android users (telegraph.co.uk)
- App installed on millions of phones secretly records all activity(digitaltrends.com)
- Smartphone Spy – Mobile Carriers Caught Secretly Skimming Android User Info (blogcritics.org)
- Android handsets secretly logging keystrokes, SMS messages?(news.cnet.com)