A non-profit group called New Yorkers for Constitutional Freedoms, backed by theLiberty Counsel, charged in a lawsuit filed yesterdaythat the law had been rammed through the state Senate on the night of June 24 in violation of the Open Meetings Law and the Senate’s own rules.
“Constitutional liberties were violated. Today we are asking the court to intervene in its rightful role as the check and balance on an out-of-control State Legislature,” said Reverend Jason J. McGuire, executive director of the group and a resident of upstate Livingston County, where New Yorkers for Constitutional Freedoms v. New York State Senate was filed.
A spokesman for Governor Andrew M. Cuomo said in a statement that “the plaintiffs lack a basic understanding of the laws of the state of New York. The suit is without merit.”
- Values groups file suit to overturn law on homosexual marriages – Washington Times (news.google.com)
- Gay marriage opponents sue to overturn NY law (abclocal.go.com)
- Anti-gay group files lawsuit against New York gay marriage(pinkbananaworld.com)
- NY’s Marriage Equality Act Sees First Court Challenge (jonathanturley.org)
- Gay marriage opponents sue to overturn NY law(miamiherald.typepad.com)
- Gay marriage opponents sue to overturn N.Y. law (cbsnews.com)
- Anti-Gay Group Files Suit To Overturn NY’s Marriage Equality Law(towleroad.com)
- You: City Room: Group Readies Suit Seeking to Nullify Gay Marriages(cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com)
- Opponents of New York’s Gay-Marriage Law Think Temper Tantrums Will Help Their Cause (queerty.com)
- Could the Anti-Marriage-Equality People Please Make Up Their Minds?(abovethelaw.com)
- WATCH: Hasselbeck Tears Into Gay Marriage Opponents(huffingtonpost.com)
- Opponents Sue NY to Overturn Gay Marriage Law (newser.com)